Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Never Forget



I remember when I finally got out of Manhattan six years ago this day and I was able to call Chris; I told him that we had to leave New York City. That I couldn't stand the thought of losing him or having to flee for my life from the city ever again. I had never feared for my life before and I was shaken to the core and so very sad, so very sorry for what had happened.


He said to me - no way. We stay put. And I was ready to plead with him that we find a way to get back to our small town homes and back to the families we love. But before I could plead, he said firmly, we're too old to be firemen, too old to join the military - the best thing we can do to fight this horrible act is to stay here - to say to the world that we're staying and this is our home and we won't be driven out, we won't live in fear, we're here. He was right. Everyday has been a small victory and I'm proud of the New Yorkers who have stayed. There will come a day that we'll leave New York, but it'll be on our own terms. It's our way of fighting and we'll never forget.

I'm so thankful that Chris helped me to find my courage to fight on that day. I'll always be grateful to him for that.

For now, that's all the news that's fit to knit. Now go hug a fireman.


No comments: