Sunday, October 01, 2006

Cozy-Posie


Cozy is done just in time for the fall weather to roll in. I used a little unknown stash-busting yarn in heather gray to knit this up. It is no where near the weight that this pattern called for, but what the hell? There are no real rules in shawl knitting. The darn thing fits and I had a great time knitting it. It's warm and big and I've worn it several times to work last week (it's something like Antartica in my office whenever the sunshines - the A/C is a little outta whack).

Final measurements basically match the pattern: 67.5 inches in length and 18.75 inches in width.




So what to knit now? Well, I've cast on today for a pair of "classy slip up socks" with some pretty pink Palette from Knit Picks (100% Peruvian Wool -official color name is blush).

I'm also using Knit Picks new double pointed needles for the first time (size 1) and I am happy to report that I really, really like them. I've been having trouble finding dpn's recently because for no good reason, I love my dpn's to be metal. I constantly read all over blog land that people have to use bamboo or other wooden needles to knit socks. Metal is too slippery, the needles fall off the stitches, etc. I've never had this problem. I've knit a bunch of socks on Boye needles, happily watching the paint peel off of the end of the needles which for me, was a mark of experience - of good use. My only complaint with the Boye needles: the only sell them in packs of 4 needles. I do not like to knit socks with 4 needles, but rather 5. I think things turn out so much better with 5 needles - less stress on the stitches mean less likelihood of ladders in your knitting as you work in the round. So for awhile, I bought two packs of the same size in the Boye. It wasn't so bad - I could get a bunch of things knitting on all of those needles. But now, I can't seem to track down those dpn's and now it sort of ticks me off to have to buy two packs.

In comes the package from Knit Picks with sets of five metal needles, they have nice sharp points on them, very comfortable and haven't dropped a stitch yet (knock wood). I love em. And at about $2.99 for the 5 pack - who could resist them? Fantastic - I only hope they continue to make them in all sizes 'cause I'd like to make some hats on size 8 this winter and I hope they'll have what I need.

Pictures of the sock and the new needles and the pattern holder (what!?!) that I'm using coming this week. I'm now going to go and clean the bathroom (every girls wish and want for a sunny Sunday afternoon), watch football and knit and smile as my dear sweetheart cooks me up his famous carrot and potato soup (oh good Lord, it is sooooo good). I'm one of those girls who got lucky and found me a man who can cook some serious noshes! He's taken ladies.


2 comments:

Alliesw said...

Glad to hear another good review of the KP DPNS. I'm a five needle metal sock knitter too (maybe we should forma support group)! And your shawl is just beautiful!

Kristin said...

alliesw,

Thank you so much for your kind words about the shawl and for the support of 5 needle dpn combination! If there is a support group, we're in! :)