Tuesday, January 20, 2009

There it is! I’ve found my knitting mojo, thank goodness. I’ve never had a problem finding my creative outlet before. Knitting has served as a way for me to focus myself on something that isn’t serious and yet has rules that I totally understand. I like that about knitting. I like having something substantial at the end of the dance I take with these sticks and strings. I like to feel things – deeply feel things when the wool is in my hands. Knitting is a treasure that I horde and being without my knitting mojo for a few weeks was hard for me. I’m glad that’s over. What brought me out of the woods? I found the Good Luck Cowl by Christianne Gerstner through Ravelry. Thank you, Ravelry for existing. It’s such a fun and creative place for knitters around the world. I cast on for this cowl using some stash yarn from Knit Picks – a sock yarn in white. I apologize for the shadow in the picture; January has been a dreary and gray month somewhat devoid of sunshine this year. The streams of light tend to come and go as they please.



But there is sun today – just like the Beatles song, “Here Comes the Sun” – today, C. and I and the rest of the world watch history being made as the United States welcomed it’s 44th President. I really wish all the best for President Obama. I’m really excited for his leadership. I love America.

In other news: how about my Pittsburgh Steelers? We’re headed back to the Super Bowl, baby! Go Steelers! I love this team, I love this game I am full of love for everything right now and I haven’t even been drinking! My brother and SIL are Tampa bound. Rachel scored tickets and is taking my brother on the occasion of his 40th birthday. He’s over the moon and so am I – those two kids work hard and have a great life. I’m so glad they’re getting away for a really fun weekend and I really hope the Steelers bring it home for them!

Right now I’m reading a few things of note: I picked up via a BN gift card The Knitter’s Book of Yarn (also know in the knitting world as the Kboy). Clara Parkes gives a really nice point of view about yarn and knitting and provides the facts that you need to really understand how yarn works – there’s a ton of knowledge delivered in these pages. I’m enjoying going through slowly and really thinking about what she’s saying about fiber. The patters that are featured are really lovely too – an added bonus to a book that is not marketed as a book of patterns, but rather a text booth of fiber and its sources. If you want to know more about the materials you’re working with as a knitter, then in my very small and humble opinion, this book should be in your knitter’s library.

I’m also still reading The Portable Dorothy Parker – if you like to laugh, she’s you’re gal. I really do recommend this book to anyone who reads and likes wit.

Also on the night stand is some information from Joyce Meyer. She’s been helping me with letting go of things like anxiety, guilt and stress (these are just a few of the things besides yarn that I like horde). Since practicing her methods of embracing new ways of thinking, I’ve really found a more peaceful way to exist. It’s been nice. It’s been good for a lot of things in my life. This is a Christian based teaching and that makes all the difference. If you aren’t down with G-O-D, you might not find it helpful. But I am down, so it does.

See – a few weeks with nothing to say and now it all comes spilling out, so I leave you now, but I’ll be back. I’ve got my eye on some other new knits and hopefully I’ll have some finished cowl pictures for you in a day or so.

Till then my fellow Americans, that’s all the news that’s fit to knit!

No comments: