Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Memory

The holidays are an interesting time. I really love this time of year, but it makes me nostalgic too. I put on some holiday music this afternoon while I was working and in a finger snap I was home - I was in my parents family room laughing and dancing with my father and singing this stupid song at the top of my lungs along with my brother while my mother fussed with drinks and snacks and we decorated the tree. It was a fantastic moment.

The holidays have had a transformation over the last ten years. One generation has passed on and our new traditions are taking hold and becoming a lot of fun. But every now and then, I think back to the people who made the first part of my life so special and I miss them. I'm sad, but not so sad that I don't remember how excellent that time was and look forward to the coming holidays.

________________________

In other news, I'm trying to finish some holiday knitting and like every year, I'm falling more and more behind. I hope I'll make it! At least everyone has a birthday every year ! : )

Till tomorrow with pictures, this is all the news that's fit to knit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The holidays are an interesting time. As our family is growing, Liesel and I are carefully balancing our past family traditions with the ones we want to create for ourselves.

You're at the beginning of this stage, too. Obviously, while you were dating, you and your man were beginning to formulate how you celebrated the holidays. But now that you're married, it takes on a more official (and more fun) position in your planning. It's really cool to incorporate your favorite aspects of the past into your new traditions for the future.

We specifically claimed all holidays as our own - so Liea will always remember waking up on Christmas morning at home and opening gifts with her parents. Sure, we'll travel on Christmas day to enjoy time with our relatives... but we're bound and determined to make Christmas day a special, family-specific, memory for our little girl.

I also think that our taking "ownership" of the holidays early in her life is going to save us a lot of stress later.

Happy Holidays to you (Merry Christmas, even!) - and hopefully we'll find some time to hang out when we're all in the 'burgh!